Monday, November 10, 2008

Tucker's Visit to the Vet

So if you are wondering what $570 worth of veterinary work looks like, here you go. I am sorry that these pictures are kind of gross, but they are interesting also. So here is the story. The other night (Saturday) Tucker came in the house and I noticed bald patch on his back the size of a quarter. I was instantly grossed out, so I looked around on him to see if I could see any bites or scratches that might explain this, but could find nothing. I just assumed he was displaying early signs of male pattern baldness and let it go.
So the next day when I got home from church Tucker came to greet me as he normally does and when I went to pet him I noticed that were the bald patch was had swollen to about the size of a tennis ball. And it was squishy. I almost threw up. I called Rob to voice my concerns and was appalled to hear him suggest that it looks like I could get another cat since the "Amazing Mr. Tow" (Tucker's nick name) was on the downhill slide. I was rather upset when I hung up the phone since Tucker is my favorite pet in the house. I've had him for 8 years and he has been my friend through lots of sad times, and lots of happy times. I know this sounds ridiculous to most people, (especially to Angela who LOVES animals!!) but I love Tucker a lot, he is a part of our family.
So when Rob got home from work this morning and saw how bad Tucker was he agreed that we should take him to the vet. Well, we got to the vet who promptly found a bite mark which come to find out was the cause of this horrible infection. He said that had I caught this the day Tucker got in the fight he would have been on some antibiotics and we would have been done with it. Since I had no idea that Tucker was even capable of fighting, I waited until it became a $570 problem. Poor cat!! So I must admit I've learned a few things from this experience. Number 1 don't let my cat outside, and number 2 when Tucker and Stella finally go the way of all the earth, don't get any more cats!!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Conni said...

Gross!! Look on the bright side. At least you didn't have to pay the new tax on Vet bills the Ter-ma-nat-or (said in Arnold's voice) is trying to pass. And Tucker looks pretty happy. :)

Layton family said...

FOul pictures!!! POor cat, I bet that was traumatic for you. by the way, I miss you! I will be anxious for things to sttel down for you so that I can see you again

Angela said...

OK, so I'm not a huge animal fan, but you love him, so I care about him too. I have pity for the poor guy. That looks miserably painful.