I have wanted to go to the Strawberry Festival in Oxnard for as long as I can remember. Every May when I see the signs go up advertising it I wonder what it's like and if I'll ever go. Well friends, this year I went. Was it all I had imagined and more? Not so much. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but to say that I was highly disappointed would be a giant understatement. First of all we paid to park about 485 miles away from the festival. That was no problem. As we walked up to the gate to go in I realized that you also had to pay to get it. $12 per person. Holy smokes!! What a rip off!! Were we at Disneyland, I wondered. NO!! We were at some dirt field in the middle of now where. Upon entering I was expecting to be greeted by strawberries galore, but for miles and miles the only thing to be seen was overpriced food stands. Where are all the strawberries?!! Where are all of the free strawberry samples that I was expecting to snack on. There were about a thousand strawberry margarita, wine, and beer stands, but no strawberry lemonade stands. How is that fair?
We made our way to the kid section where they had this handy sign that we posed in front of to commemorate our trip and then took Sophie on a couple of kid rides, which by the way were free. I about fell on the floor when I found that out. After a few rides, one of them on the fasted carousel ever made, we headed over to eat some mediocre, overpriced food. We were not disappointed. The prices were insane and the food fairly cruddy!! Am I sounding too negative? I really don't mean to.
After we gorged ourselves on yucky food we made our way out to the car, never having tasted a strawberry. I must say that although I sound like I had no fun, I did. It was nice to at least try it once. It only cost us about $100, but hey, can you really put a price on such good memories??

6 comments:
All I can say is Dad's sweet get-up of boots and shorts (the camera man didn't crop enough)and white socks fighting to climb out of his boots made my day.
You are hilarious. I was actually thinking we should go, and was disappointed when I realized we missed it. Thank you for relieving my disappointment. Sorry it was a letdown.
We missed you tonight, I actually ended up making it. I gotta say, neither Sophie or Rob look too happy about the pose on the horse at the merry go round. Looking forward to Wednesday!
Hey, I wish you would have asked me....we had the same experience about 12 years ago. Great pictures though! Love Sophie's shirt, perfect for strawberry snackin'. You should come out to the strawberry fields Claire and I just went too. It was $5 to get in and go on a tractor ride, then pick your own strawberries, while eating as many as you want.
We went there years ago, and I could have told you it was so not worth it! But I think charging $12 to get in is new - I don't remember it costing that much.
At least you got some great pictures out of it. What a good looking family. The poppy festival out here was the same thing too. Expensive! And I didn't see one poppy.
Post a Comment