Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day

I have a fantastic mom.  As a child growing up I always loved my mom, but as I've become a mother myself, I have come to appreciate her more and more.  Some of the fondest memories I have as a child involve little things that she and I did together.  When I was in kindergarten, she would meet me at the bus stop every day and walk me home where we would eat a gourmet lunch of cheese tortillas (quesadillas) and watch an episode of Bewitched.  She used to look in my ears and pretend that she would see all types of vegetables growing.  I loved this, and would laugh and laugh asking her what was growing in there.  I do the same thing with my kids now and they love it too.  Every night when she tucked my in she would squeeze my hand and say, "do you love me?"  Then I would squeeze her back and say, "yes I do."  Then she would say, "how much?"  Then at last I would say, "a whole bunch," while squeezing her hand extra hard.  Then we would switch and do it all again.  This ritual happened every night for as long as I can remember.  Another thing I remember as a kid is how much my mom enjoyed reading, and how she passed that love onto us.  We always had books to read, and she would always take us to the library.  I've tried to pass that love of books to my kids.  Another thing I remember as a child was her letting me skip school once in a while just for the heck of it.  On those days we would do something fun, just her and I.  It was never anything big, but always something fun.  When we were sick she would make us the comfiest taco/bed thing on the couch where we would stay all day and watch TV and drink grape juice.  I loved being sick!
     Not only is my mom a great mom, she is also an incredibly strong woman.  She was able to overcome the horrible home life she had as a child and was able to provide a loving, stable, and happy home for her children.  I admire her so much for being able to do that.  What a gal.  In honor of Mother's Day, I thought I'd list the top 10 things (serious and not so serious) I've learned from her.

1.  Paper can be see through, for example see through plastic bags of chips really are made of paper.
2.  Radical is a word that will never, ever go out of style.
3.  When in doubt, throw it out.
4.  All lights must be turned off when entering or exiting a motor home at night.  NO EXCEPTIONS!
5.  Vacuuming your house every day is totally normal.
6.  Shaving your legs twice a day is normal (not really!).
7.  Bagels and cream cheese every day for months is pretty dang tasty!
8.  Old reruns of Columbo while eating bagels and cream cheese is a good way to spend time!
9.  Gardening and cleaning can be therapeutic and enjoyable. 
10.  No matter what, I am always loved.
I love you mom.  I am grateful to be your daughter, and I have learned so much from you, (obviously more than the things on my list).  Thanks for always being there for me, no matter how dumb or difficult I was.  You are the best!

0 comments: