Thursday, February 26, 2009

Rob's Million Dollar Hobby

When I met Rob 6 years ago he mentioned to me that he really wanted a spear gun. He told me that when he used to live in Hawaii he and his friends went spear fishing all the time and he loved it. I said that some day he would be able to get one secretly hoping that he would forget. Well this year for his birthday he reminded me about how I've often said that he could get one, and that's what he wanted for his birthday. I said okay, not knowing that the spear gun he wanted costs almost $800. And on top of that he needed $900 more worth of extraneous gear. Holy mackerel!! Why can't he like cheap hobbies like bird watching or rock collecting.
Getting suited up for his first attempt at spearfishing in over 15 years.
There he goes.
Success!! His first official kill. Way to go Rob. By the way, can we spend almost $2000 on my next birthday present!!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Malinda Jane Sieg said...

When was that rockfish killed? I can't wait to show my friends in the DFG.

Cynthia said...

Wow, Rob is quite the outdoorsman. I think you should ask for a Birkin bag for your birthday... aren't those things thousands of dollars?? You are a very kind wife to support his expensive hobby.

Julie said...

I would totally start making a list Audrey.

Malinda Jane Sieg said...

Lest the "oh poor me" housewives who have previously published comments forget, this is not a selfish (I hate to even use the word "hobby" so I won't) job. It is, in fact, Rob endeavoring to support his family by bringing home dinner. I would kindly remind all that this is extremely dangerous as Rob is forced to swim in the open ocean with sharks in order to feed the mouths of those whom he loves. Far too often this type of nobility goes unnoticed, and yes, it is often even looked upon in a condemning fashion. "Money" they say. "She should buy a purse," they say. Well you just try and eat that purse for dinner- no Omega 3 fatty acids there. Do you want Sophie to have an underdeveloped brain? Well, if you do, all you have to do is keep condemning that brave man in your life willing to sacrifice all and take Sophie to the mall's version of the "gap." But as for me an my house, we shall fish the gap.

Angela said...

I'm sure that was his purpose from the very beginning. He just wanted to feed his family some fish. I would totally make a list Audrey.

Conni said...

Hmmmmmm, I wonder if Malinda or James wrote the above comment? It's hard to tell.

Conni said...

I'm super interested in Rob's hobby, but how many months do I have to keep looking at it? Please post something new and exciting....! I know you have stuff!