So who the heck is this guy you ask, it's my dad. Here he is at age 16, and below that's him at 25 when he graduated from the police academy. My dad is one of the most spiritual, hard working, honest, stubborn, loving men that I know. I feel so lucky to be his daughter.
I remember when I was a little girl I was soo proud that my dad was a policeman. When all the kids at school would compare what their dad did for a living I always had the coolest dad because not only was he a cop, he was also a Navy SEAL in Vietnam. My dad could kick any one's dad's butt!! As I've gotten older I've come to appreciate my dad for so many things, When I was growing up my dad always worked 2 jobs. He would leave at 4 am and usually not get home until at least 5:30 or 6:00 at night. He did this so that my mom could stay home with us kids. I realize what a sacrifice that was for him, but I never heard him complain even once. He just felt it was the right thing to do. When I was older he "hired" me to work for him as his electrician's helper. I made $10 an hour which was a lot of money for a 16 year old. I remember one job it particular where he was in the attic pulling wire for a ceiling fan and I was in the master bedroom below waiting to hand him the wire. Well, I must have had a rough night before because I had fallen asleep on the bed in the room and the homeowner came to wake me up to let me know that my dad was yelling for me to hand him the wire. WHOOPS!! I expected my dad to be mad, but all I remember was us laughing about it. Every day when we would drive to our various job sites listening to either Al Jolson music, or music from WWII, my dad would always pat me on the leg and tell be that he loved me. I would often roll my eyes and say I love you back, but never appreciated him doing that for me. Not everyone gets to hear that from there dad on a daily basis. Another thing I remember when I was growing up was my dad constantly telling me that I should look for a man to marry that treated me like he treated my mom. I must admit, I never really paid much attention to that. When I was married to my first husband I remember very clearly a fight that he and I had and in my mind I could suddenly hear my dad's advice about what type of man I should be married to. Needless to say, that marriage has since ended.
As I watch my dad get older I appreciate him more and more. He has been such a great father to me, and now I love watching him be a wonderful grandpa to my daughters. Sophie loves her "poppie" and I know Scarlett will too. I am so glad that I was raised in a home with a loving mother and father. I am truly blessed, and I appreciate everything that my dad has done for me. He continues to be someone that I look up to, enjoy being with, and someone that I still turn to for advice. Thanks for being a great dad!! Happy birthday daddy-o!!


1 comments:
On a side note, it wasn't until I was home from my mission that I was finally worth 10 dollars an hour-and I actually worked, unlike Audrey or Bryce. I am not sure what the going rate for Conni or Andrew was, but Bryce's and Audrey's employment was (I guess) indicative of R.J. Sieg Electric's practice of being an equal opportunity employer. Furthermore, Audrey, you failed to mention dad's knack for simultaneously HAAAA-CHAAAA!!!-ing whilst farting, in order to cover up his oily warbles. Dad would also do this in the fishing aisles of wal-mart or k-mart and then rapidly leave, only he never ha-chaa-ed here. Oh, well.
Post a Comment